One game

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

One game

Postby boisayum » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:02 am

So one game it looks like will seperate the top 7 teams. This could go anyway.

Swans let one slip. It was one that got away.

For an opening 15 weeks we still have no clear leader, looks like the election may go the distance away.
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

>Re: One game

Postby Finnis4 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:22 am

A tipping nightmare.... :)

Indeed the Swans may live to regret yesterdays loss.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the lower placed teams knock off the top teams neither.. It will be an interesting 8 weeks.

I'll have to give my crystal balls a bit of a rub...or at least make sure my flipping coin isn't double headed :twisted:

Today's Crows Melb game is not a give-me neither.

AFL fixtures planning could have been better with a home game for Adelaide on the 12 month anniversary of the passing of PWalsh. A Crows Port game would have been a fitting tribute and timely closure.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Team (AFL): Adelaide

Postby swannee » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:35 am

boisayum wrote:Swans let one slip. It was one that got away.

I have made mention of this fatal flaw in the Swan's game before, and last night was the perfect demonstration, ...YET again!
Remember Richmond back in Round 8?
Same bloody scenario.
The Swans have this strange weakness for invariably giving away a goal in the last two minutes of any quarter.
I don't know if they relax too soon or what but it happens time and time again.
Now while this may not matter all that much in the first three quarters, it means that unless they are at least 7 points up by that stage in the fourth, they are VERY likely to lose.
From half time on last night I knew this old familiar hoodoo was looming, and sure enough, that's EXACTLY what happened. Unless the Swans can find a way to overcome this weakness in their game, it will end up costing 'em a Grand Final!

The Swans are always listed as the best tacklers, but if you watched last night's game closely you would notice that sure, they lay plenty of tackles, ....but they subsequently do NOT then get the ball. They just allow it to fall free, to be picked up by another opposition player and then the Swans tackle again. This goes on and on, but apart from raising the tackle count, does nothing productive with regards to gaining possession.

Needless to say last night was NOT a happy one in Swannee's household! Some of the furniture still bears the bruises........
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

Postby boisayum » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:37 pm

Swans were a team tonight.
Much better than their effort last week.

Congratulations to K Jack on his big 200. After all the nonsense his family put him through this week. Excellent.
Before last week if you asked me how many games K Jack had played I would have said 150. This came around pretty quickly.

Now to Next week. 1 v 2. Friday night. Blockbuster.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:54 am

boisayum wrote:Swans were a team tonight.
Much better than their effort last week.

Yes indeed boisayum, HOWEVER they STILL managed to give away that goal opportunity in the dying minutes of the first two quarters, .....it was nothing to do with the Swans that Geelong (the famous Dangerfield) missed and kicked a point.

Which brings me to another related matter.
Now please note that this comment has nothing at all to do with Dangerfield's ability or lack thereof.
It's about the commentary, and Bruce in particular.
He is obsessed with Dangerfield!
The Swans were playing very well, and several particularly well, but what was Bruce babbling on about all the time? "Dangerfield, ..Dangerfield, ...Dangerfield"!!!
Swans like Mitchell, Rohan, Rampe and Jones were doing amazing things but Bruce kept up his monotonous mantra....barely pausing to even name players who took incredible marks under pressure, or defended brilliantly.
Josh Kennedy made a spectacular run through several opposition players and kicked a wonderful goal, but Bruce was far too busy telling us all about Dangerfield, his possessions, his abilities, his talent, ..his sheer superstardom...(his word, not mine!)

Even when Dangerfield missed an easy goal, and later made an absolute stuff-up of what should have been a simple passing kick, Bruce continued to loudly sing his praises, ignoring other players who actually performed well, rather than flubbing their opportunities.

Then, suddenly around halfway through the fourth quarter, when it became apparent even to him that the Swans would win, and win easily, Old Bruce changed his tune.
Suddenly it was the Swans who were just so talented, and had kept Dangerfield quiet...(there's that name again!), and even humbled Joel Selwood, ...another of Bruce's fervent love-interests!
(Thankfully Rance wasn't playing for either team!)
Bruce even managed to eventually praise the brilliant performance of Kieran Jack, ....whose effort for the entire game was truly amazing considering the ridiculous media attention he received throughout the preceding week!!
Well better late than never I suppose.

Really LOVED the huge "MAN-HUG" John Longmire gave Kieran Jack immediately upon his entry to the rooms prior to the victorious team singing the Swan's song!

Commiserations puss! (But you know how it is I'm sure!)
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:43 pm

I was discussing this same thing about Rioli on Thursday night. It's sickening.

Anytime Rioli was around the ball and clearly not actually with the ball they would mention him as dangerous or pressuring even though he was just standing there. They all do it. I tell you it's time for channel 7 to stop hiring retired footballers just because they retired. It still doesn't mean they are interesting commentators.

DARCY, LING, RICHARDSON, CAREY. They all need to be dropped.

GIANTS CANT GET PAST PIES. Still yet to beat them. I brag about me tipping Pies, but due to the fact my tipping went downhill, I pick all underdogs.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Finnis4 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:55 am

Crikey talk about footy tipping going downhill....

I totally agree re all that' s been said about the current crop of footy commentators.

Are we that bereft of talent to have to have current people??....What' s more is that there doesn't seem to be anyone in the wings waiting for a chance ....same old hacks and hackneyed trite language.

For a couple of years now Foxtel has been running a program (I think its called The Recruit) where one youngster gets a footy contract as a result of a series of things drawn out and filmed into a TV show this years host is MMAlthouse...anyway... perhaps a similar type of program could be made to get some TALENTED Footy commentators with a contract at the end....Commercial TV might also see someone they like as well.

Now this next thought is just stupid ...but it could be fun....something similar to Goggle Box with you guys watching the footy...know that would be "Special" :twisted: :twisted:
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Finnis4 wrote:..something similar to Goggle Box with you guys watching the footy.

Well I for one am very pleased no GoogleBox cameras are in our house Finnis4.
Things can get VERY excited at times, ....and sensitive electrical equipment is very easily damaged!
Also the language is hardly PG, (NOR PC it must be said!)......can you imagine a whole programme of just "bleeps"?

And referring back to Bruce and the Swans/Geelong game, I reckon like so many tipsters, he'd predicted a Geelong win and gone ahead and pre-prepared a whole lot of blurb to run after the final siren featuring Dangerfield, then of course when Geelong DIDN'T win, he had to shelve all his adulatory smoke-blowing and rely on what he could ad-lib.
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:36 pm

Great idea about commentators show.

Rule 1. No ex-players.

Unfortunately you wouldn't get a sentence either without the bleep going on. Love gogglebox though, it's humorous tv.

Swannee,
Franklin used to be a love child when he was at hawthorn but now at Sydney, not so much love.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:30 am

boisayum wrote:Swannee,
Franklin used to be a love child when he was at hawthorn but now at Sydney, not so much love.

Ain't that the truth!
Bruce does have his capricious nature, ...and he's very fickle.
I can remember way back when he had Wayne Carey's poster on the ceiling above his bed!
Now it's obviously been replaced by one of Rance!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:05 am

Whacko ...what an enormous w/e for footy...

1 v 2....to start off with....Sydney at home....Hawthorn aspiring to their very best - crystal balls at the ready....Actually I wish it was on Friday night...I'm not a great fan of Thursday night games....guess its all about TV coverage and $$$ for channel 7 and the AFL.

Other games also have serious consequences not the least being Crows Collingwood....and 8 v 9 Port and NMelb....the distance between top of the ladder and 8th isn't that far....just ask North who have been on a slippery slide for 5 games now.

Plenty other watchable games to kept me out of trouble on the w/e too .

Skimming through the TV guide last night I saw where the NRL also has a "want to be NRL player" type show on one of the commercial channels.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:40 am

Well suffice to say my observation regarding the Swans inability to stop giving away a goal in the dying seconds on any quarter remains proven.
Yet again they managed to do this on the 3/4 siren, ....and again FATALLY in the last 70 seconds of the match.
Result?
Yet again a repeat of Richmond and the Bulldogs.
And of course a fall from second position on the ladder.
The Swans seem incapable of protecting a narrow lead, ...or of "icing" a game that was almost over....thus wasting all their hard work.
If the Swans DO happen to make the Grand Final, this inability could very well bite 'em on the bum and then there'll be tears before bedtime...... many of them mine! #-o #-o #-o

Some stats from the game are telling, ...like the free kick count up to 3/4 time?
Hawthorn a hefty 13 ;
Swans a measly 4!
And those two highly doubtful 50 metre penalties for Hawthorn resulting in "gimme goals" from a highly "generous" umpire .
Needless to say I was/am NOT impressed by the white maggot's version of impartiality....... :roll:
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:05 am

Indeed Mr Swannee... Sydney kicked 2.4 to Hawks 4.2 in the last quarter as well as buddy kicking one out on the full, not an ideal ending to what was a colossal game.

Where was Farah? Last week "rested" this week not named. The other red haired youngster will be a gun too - he may well have got last weeks Rising Star nomination too if my memory is correct.

I hate starting the w/e footy with a tipping loss. :(
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:08 am

Finnis4 wrote:I hate starting the w/e footy with a tipping loss. :(

Me too, ...me too!
SPECIALLY when it's the Swans! :ras: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:
My furniture bears the scars!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby SketchY » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:25 am

Well it's getting very interesting now isn't it this finals race.
Let's hope my pies can do some of you a favor tonight and end the Roos top 4 chances.

My tip for the flag is still the cats. I can't shake when they were plying their best they were by far the stand out side this season in what is very even.
They're my tip but as you know they are the last team I want to win it.
I'm thinking the swans Hawks cats Giants will make the top four.
StKilda... The club with more rape allegations than Premierships!!!
SketchY
Player
Player

Team (AFL): Collingwood

Next

Return to Footy Chat