Rising wrong?

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

Rising wrong?

Postby boisayum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:19 pm

This is probably the most biased post I will ever start but I'm wondering what you guys and gals think.

Cripps v Hogan. Rising star 2015.

I've watched Cripps all year this year and he is getting better by the week. He is 20. He has only played 39 games.
He is averaging this year 16 contested possessions per game. Chris Judd only ever managed a season high of 13 per game.
If I want to compare to anyone it would be Josh Kennedy, he has 5 of the top 10 contested possessions in a season since records were kept. A beast you might say.
This year only Lachie Neale, Dangerfield , Kennedy and Priddis are ahead of him in this measure.

While I don't doubt Hogan is a good player. He is averaging 2.3 goals and 7 marks a games, I think Cripps has come on leaps and bounds. I know it's no big issue , as some might see it as a pointless award, I would just love to get everyone's opinion. Maybe you think some else deserved it.

Thoughts?
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

>Re: Rising wrong?

Postby SketchY » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:21 am

Cripps will be a better player then Hogan for sure.
I think hogan has such an ugly personality.
His strut and arrogance and complete self entitlement on the field suprised me, he is a kid and achieved nothing yet he carries on like he has had a career of dunstall.
StKilda... The club with more rape allegations than Premierships!!!
SketchY
Player
Player

Team (AFL): Collingwood

Postby swannee » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:25 am

SketchY wrote:Cripps will be a better player then Hogan for sure.
His strut and arrogance and complete self entitlement on the field suprised me, he is a kid and achieved nothing yet he carries on like he has had a career of dunstall.

I am in total agreement with you both on this. Like SketchY, I too have noticed and taken an instant dislike to Hogan's apparent arrogance.
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

Postby boisayum » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:23 pm

SketchY wrote:Cripps will be a better player then Hogan for sure.

Yeah I never thought about it, but now you mention it. I see it.

I am starting to have a huge dislike for Jake Stringer. And the arrogance he shows when he does nothing all game and kids a winning goal late
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby SketchY » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Yes jake stringer is another great example , this could be a whole new topic on its own.
Players who are getting ahead of themselves.
The over arrogant list contains
hogan
Stringer
I have another in their group and he is a lesser none but a guy called Mitch Duncan at the cats.
He thinks he is the next Stevie j.
Tries everything Steve does and completely loves himself yet has very little talent.
StKilda... The club with more rape allegations than Premierships!!!
SketchY
Player
Player

Team (AFL): Collingwood

Postby swannee » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:33 pm

So it seems AFL still has its share of "FIGJAM"s ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's another one down at Geelong that probably kisses himself good night....and good morning! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
And remember Wayne Carey and his super-ego from the past?
Arrogance is a most unattractive quality of a sportsfield.
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Totally diverted off topic but great discussion.

I'm suggesting the sudden rise of AFL players being busted in possession of drugs runs parallel with young men being arrogant and believing they are indestructible. Arrogance breeds ingnorance.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:44 am

boisayum wrote:Totally diverted off topic but great discussion.

I'm suggesting the sudden rise of AFL players being busted in possession of drugs runs parallel with young men being arrogant and believing they are indestructible. Arrogance breeds ingnorance.

True, ...but honestly now?
Doesn't every teenager think they A/ know everything;
B/ are ten foot tall and indestructible? (I probably did back then! :oops: )
And today that includes the curious species of arrested development that has since evolved I now call the "man-boy".
They remain with that same teenage mindset and all the associated characteristics and pastimes until they are well into their 30s, ..... sometimes even later!
Peter Pan Syndrome?

It's a sad fact that football players get their egos stroked so early in life, but they would do well to remember it's a career that's over very shortly after they turn 30, and that's with any serious injury aside.
For some blokes this sinking back from god-like status into relative obscurity is very hard to take.
Hence we are seeing so many barely literate oldies trying to have a career commentating, ...most with absolutely no abilities whatsoever.
Young blokes, or those afore-mentioned man-boys simply cannot envisage this ever happening to them, ....so it comes as a very rude shock.

To reverse your quote boisayum, I also reckon ignorance breeds arrogance!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Return to Footy Chat