Time Warp

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

Time Warp

Postby Finnis4 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:29 am

Is it still March?

My top eight are still top eight...perhaps a minor soft shoe shuffle, but basically the same - I couldn't predict the Cup winner then, nor the Grand Finalists, and I still can't.

This weekend has confirmed previous thoughts...any one of the top 4 teams can win on the day IF they bring their best game, get the bounce of the ball and have a bit of luck.

Hawthorn ARE beatable as proved several times this year and again on Friday night by West Coast who may still have a say in September, losing Nic though is a major setback to their GF aspirations. Admittedly the trip to Perth brings a lot of teams unstuck.....but still its a National game now and travel is part of it.

The Sydney North Melb game was weird....Sydney played well in spurts but not for the entire quarter nor each quarter. North Melb perhaps played more consistently but couldn't bank their opportunities. Its interesting that BFranklin isn't the "go to" guy that he once was anymore...the new breed players by-passed him several times yesterday in favour of better /other options - his once dominating persona appearing to be fading with each year. The younger/newer players are faster and equally accurate at goal! KTippets return was seamless and a credit to the trainers. Still tho they are beatable if not playing at their best.

The Crows had a good win against Port last night. Admittedly Port are in the lower part of the ladder however in The Showdowns anything can happen and in reality the individual Port players had heaps more to play for (ie their future in the team as I reckon there will be massive changes at season end after two years of unfulfilling expectations) than the Crows. The Crows with their BEST game could cause an upset.

GWS are such a fast side....their youthful exuberance and talent has got them this far and will take them a little further however the finals are a different kettle of fish and their lack of experience may bring them undone.

Geelong are an enigma.....I thought recruiting Selwood, Henderson and Dangerfield would see them almost unbeatable...Dangerfield and the other Selwood have worked well with Dangerfield having his best year yet but the other Geelong players are coasting; no matter how good individual players are its only when the whole team plays well, particularly in Finals, that you get a win. They will need their Ä" game each game.

Next weekend will sort out the eight and set up the Elimination Finals.....it will be interesting to see if the "bye" round at seasons end returns next year, I'm not in favour of it and don't think it's the way to go.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Team (AFL): Adelaide

>Re: Time Warp

Postby swannee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:04 am

Finnis4 wrote:it will be interesting to see if the "bye" round at seasons end returns next year, I'm not in favour of it and don't think it's the way to go.

Bloody ridiculous idea!
Apparently it was set up to stop top teams "resting" their stars for the last round when playing against teams that really didn't have a hope.
Wayne Carey used to be notorious for NEVER playing the last home-&-away game if the Kangaroos were to play finals footy.
He'd invariably be listed as "unfit" in some small way, but of course would trot out in the following week in the finals.
So now everybody gets a rest, ....and public interest is allowed to go off the boil.

I am a firm believer that NOT playing for a week actually buggers a team up rather than improves it.
So often you see the winner from the first week of the finals who then gets the break come back out of match-fitness.
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

Postby boisayum » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:19 am

Yeah nothing much has changed has it Finnis.

I'm still going to stick with my thoughts and say Hawthorn cannot win it. I don't think they have the complete team they use to have.

Swans were really only as good as north let them be. Disposal was at times poor, but the pressure was immense.
I do worry that the swans get an enormous amount of the ball, but rarely put teams away.

Imagine the crows winning after Dangerfield leaving, it would be enormous. Crows look like they have the complete team

GWS I think maybe next year. They are going to be the next Brisbane Lions back to back to back to back.

And the cats, I'm not sure if it's my dislike for them is influencing my opinion, but I don't think they can win, their list is too old.

I go to the footy today in the hope that my team loses, not for draft picks, not because I've given up.
There are two reasons.
Reason 1 is that I want Melbourne to beat us and be only 1 game behind North Melb and having a chance at knocking them out of the finals. I prefer to watch Melbourne.
Reason 2 is that I want shit to happen. I want casboult out, I want Liam jones out. And if we capitulate, these guys should not be there.
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

Postby boisayum » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:20 am

swannee wrote:
Finnis4 wrote:it will be interesting to see if the "bye" round at seasons end returns next year, I'm not in favour of it and don't think it's the way to go.

Bloody ridiculous idea!
Apparently it was set up to stop top teams "resting" their stars for the last round when playing against teams that really didn't have a hope.
Wayne Carey used to be notorious for NEVER playing the last home-&-away game if the Kangaroos were to play finals footy.
He'd invariably be listed as "unfit" in some small way, but of course would trot out in the following week in the finals.
So now everybody gets a rest, ....and public interest is allowed to go off the boil.

I am a firm believer that NOT playing for a week actually buggers a team up rather than improves it.
So often you see the winner from the first week of the finals who then gets the break come back out of match-fitness.

And the fact they don't schedule the last round until 6 weeks out made no sense at all, considering there was a break
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Finnis4 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:16 pm

Dear Mr Boisayum - Karma can be a bitch sometimes - as I read your post I had an inkling that Carlton would win and come back to bite you on the bum so to speak for wanting a loss.
(but disastrously not enough to change my tip)
Footy commentators are saying that there wont be Footy in Melb for two weeks due to the Bye Round and Interstate Finals.
Some punters will lose interest I am sure and as a result I reckon this will be the one and only Bye Round Year.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby boisayum » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Finnis4 wrote:Dear Mr Boisayum - Karma can be a bitch sometimes - as I read your post I had an inkling that Carlton would win and come back to bite you on the bum so to speak for wanting a loss.
(but disastrously not enough to change my tip)
Footy commentators are saying that there wont be Footy in Melb for two weeks due to the Bye Round and Interstate Finals.
Some punters will lose interest I am sure and as a result I reckon this will be the one and only Bye Round Year.

As much I said I wanted the loss, I bloody enjoyed the win. The heart wants want the heart wants.

Just imagine no footy two weeks in a row, I think dogs may get a home final against west coast.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:02 am

Finnis4 wrote:Footy commentators are saying that there wont be Footy in Melb for two weeks due to the Bye Round and Interstate Finals.

Oh boo bloody hoo hoo! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Every time this happens all the Melbourne tossers get all upset and start to whinge and whine.
Melbourne no longer "owns" AFL football. Notice the big "A"?
It's NOW a country-wide competition, so just get used to it, and if none of your Melbourne teams are good enough to be in the top four to give you footy in Melbourne Week One, then tough tits!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:49 pm

swannee wrote:
Finnis4 wrote:Footy commentators are saying that there wont be Footy in Melb for two weeks due to the Bye Round and Interstate Finals.

Oh boo bloody hoo hoo! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Every time this happens all the Melbourne tossers get all upset and start to whinge and whine.
Melbourne no longer "owns" AFL football. Notice the big "A"?
It's NOW a country-wide competition, so just get used to it, and if none of your Melbourne teams are good enough to be in the top four to give you footy in Melbourne Week One, then tough tits!

A few things.

1. No one is complaining or suggesting it should be otherwise.
2. You don't have to be in the top four to get a home final in week 1. It's 1v4, 2v3, 5v8, 6v7. Teams 1,2,5,6 get home finals.
So Melbourne sides will finish in top 4 just may not get that 1st week home final.
3. Finnis is actually talking about the bye before the finals then the 1st week of finals.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:25 am

boisayum wrote:A few things.

1. No one is complaining or suggesting it should be otherwise.
2. You don't have to be in the top four to get a home final in week 1. It's 1v4, 2v3, 5v8, 6v7. Teams 1,2,5,6 get home finals.
So Melbourne sides will finish in top 4 just may not get that 1st week home final.
3. Finnis is actually talking about the bye before the finals then the 1st week of finals.

My point stands, we hear this every finals when Melbourne doesn't host a game and the venues are left ghost towns.

You are obviously just NOT a Melbourne tosser! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:59 am

I honestly haven't heard one person moan about it.
No media, no fans, it was just an unusual scenario mentioned.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Finnis4 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:09 am

Geez there are some funny/clever people in this world....and I just love the idiosyncrasy (I had to look it up :) ) from another post of cock and dick.

I just read a yarn from a North Melbourne Supporter suggesting that the Club TANK this w/e ---just to piss off the AFL.....

and a tad ironic that last night the Geelong coach (and twin brother of NMelb coach) said he wasn't in favour of, and didn't like the end of season Bye Round !!!!
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Footy Chat