FINALS 2016

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

FINALS 2016

Postby boisayum » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:36 am

After round 12. It seems the 8 was set, but in what order was the question. I think in round 23 the whole AFL community was barracking for Collingwood, then Fitpatrick from Hawthorn who will never ever kick another goal like that sunk the hearts of the rest of the league. Hawks got in the top 4.

This is wide open. The widest in years.

I'm going to start by eliminating Bulldogs and North Melbourne in round 1.

Adelaide:
Why they can win: home final week 1, they matched hawthorn well in their earlier meeting, and also beat Sydney and GWS during the year. Good forward line when firing, great midfield.
Why they can't win: if they face Geelong in the 2nd week, they will struggle, they didn't get near the cats in their two meetings this year. Their defence, they will have to play 4 weeks of tight defence and I don't think they have the consistency to stop top forwards 4 weeks in a row

GEELONG:
Why they can win: a win in the first week is pivotal for a home prelim final, they have the best record against too 8 teams with an 8-2 record. And a midfield that is at times unstoppable. A talk forward line will kill short defences. And their backmen are the most reliable in the league.
Why the can't win: a soft run into the finals against Richmond Brisbane Essendon and Melbourne winning by a total of 245 points. Also a team that when you think they are going well they drop one with losses to Carlton Collingwood and stkilda.
While their tall forward are scary, they can also go missing too. This is their only downside.

GWS:
Why they can win: have beaten hawthorn and Geelong this season and all things going to plan will play either one in the prelim if they get there. Youth, and pace may help in recovery after matches, and they seem to have little injuries.
Why they cant win: meeting their big brothers Sydney has been bad news this season. Never looked in the game both games. Have them week one. And if make the GF could meet them again. Inexperience may be a factor. Apparently it's a step up in intensity. Will most likely have to travel for the prelim.

HAWTHORN:
why they can win: 3 times premiers, have a knack of winning tight tense matches
Why they can't win: a very different side to their previous 3 years. Lost to all other top 4 teams and west coast this year, and hasn't put teams away. Their forward line can go missing at times, and an ageing list means it just might not be their year.

SYDNEY:
Why they can win: finished top of the ladder, beaten all other top 4 team. Has the best midfield in the AFL, team getting back to full fitness. most likely going to play two finals at home before having to travel to Melbourne. And a team that wins anywhere. Finals experience and the most accountable team, all sidling point to Sydney.
Why they can't win: not being able to put quality teams away and for a team that has so much of the ball, it is slightly concerning. Also had a pretty soft run into finals winning by a total of 349 points in last 5 games.

WEST COAST:
Why they can win: their forwards are in fine form, the team has hit form at the right time of year. Beating Adelaide hawthorn and GWS in the last 3 weeks of the year. And winning 9 of the past 10 matches.
Why they can't win: playing away was an issue at the start of the season, they will most likely have to play away for 4 weeks straight. A tough task for any team. I don't think they have the consistent midfield of other teams.
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

>Re: FINALS 2016

Postby Finnis4 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:59 pm

Whacko Mr Boisayum...a very thoughtful, insightful and comprehensive view....so good...now please tell us G/Finalists and winner..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Team (AFL): Adelaide

Postby boisayum » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:30 pm

Sydney v Whoever wins Geelong/Hawks match

Swans win

Sorry still on fence
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:39 pm

boisayum wrote:Sydney v Whoever wins Geelong/Hawks match
Swans win
Sorry still on fence

Well all I can say boisayum is that I fervently hope you are RIGHT!
Trying to not even think about it at this stage!
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

Postby Pabs85 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:20 pm

Who's flying to Melbourne tomorrow?
I love Melbourne, Geelong and afl players. Go Cats!
Pabs85
Draftee
Draftee

Team (AFL): Geelong

Postby boisayum » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:25 pm

Ok forget all my analysis. I know nothing about this game. Clearly form means nothing.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:55 am

boisayum wrote:Ok forget all my analysis. I know nothing about this game. Clearly form means nothing.

That goes for me too boisayum!
Without wishing to boast I tend to do quite well in the tipping comps, however I do suffer one serious and sometimes fatal flaw.
Round Bloody One of the finals.!
For some unknown reason I find THAT particular round invariably trips me up, and this year is already proving no exception.

Who'd have thought the Bullies would win? They haven't won a final outside Victoria since Jesus played full-back for the Bethlehem Under Sevens!
AND by so much!
To quote a very famous line from and even more famous film....."I have a BAD feeling about this!"
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:52 pm

WHACKO.....what a w/e in footy.
As others have said before me I clearly know nothing about footy...HOWEVER Finals are always different both psychologically and practically - that was exemplified in no uncertain terms in the course of the past 3 days....

Mr Swannee had to be revived after the Sydney GWS game I am sure - I hope he had some brandy on hand (for medicinal purposes only of course).....I tipped Swans BUT now in hindsight I obviously should have given GWS greater kudos - they are in with a chance to play in the G/F ...and will be a footy finals force for the next 4 or 5 years.

Geelong Hawks...always a cracker game and once again we weren't disappointed. A nail bitter for many. Tears for some jubilation for others.

Crows home by a mile in a thumping over Nmelb....Eddie Betts and Charlie Cameron are absolute gun players their speed, footy reflexes and accuracy is almost unbelievable. The Crows will have one more win at the most, but I even doubt that....Sydney will come back mean and hungry and out play them next Saturday night.

Not a lot is said about NMelb on this site - maybe there is no interest, so I'll be brief...DPetrie played one year too long and should have retired last year....the 4 delisted players ALL should all go. The timing of the announcement was badly handled and should have been delayed as I think this hindered their finals campaign...plus to have only had 3 wins in the past 12 games is appalling. The coach has some serious questions to answer - I reckon he should go too....with seven years in the position he has done all he can and if that is his best so be it....farewell Mr Scott. If the NM plan was to use 2016 as their "premiership window" I feel is was misguided and it has proven to have failed spectacularly - the players are unsettled and the supporters miffed and disgruntled. I wouldn't be surprised to see NM membership numbers plummet next year.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:36 pm

Finnis4 wrote:Mr Swannee had to be revived after the Sydney GWS game I am sure - I hope he had some brandy on hand (for medicinal purposes only of course).....I tipped Swans BUT now in hindsight I obviously should have given GWS greater kudos - they are in with a chance to play in the G/F ...and will be a footy finals force for the next 4 or 5 years.

Well not so much "revived" Finnis4,....more like calmed down. In truth I have NEVER seen the Swans play worse football. Missing targets, missing tackles, missing goals...(well when they even got close enough to have a shot that is!)
It's tempting to blame the crap venue of course, but there's no other way to put it, they were comprehensively flogged by a team that player FAR superior football on the night.
Yes kudos indeed to the Giants, ...well all except that mongrel Stevie J that is.
He's FAR too fond of raising his elbow...(point of the shoulder my arse!) and should get at LEAST a week for his dirty work, but I'm not putting any money on it. :roll:
He did it TWICE in this game too!
No doubt he'll get off with a "suspended" penalty or an inconsequential fine. :roll:

Finnis4 wrote:The Crows will have one more win at the most, but I even doubt that....Sydney will come back mean and hungry and out play them next Saturday night.

Hmmmm, ...now THAT remains to be seen. If the Swans turn on the same shambolic performance as they did against the Giants it will be "all over, RED rover" for sure! AND QUICKLY TOO! :shock:

Finnis4 wrote:Not a lot is said about NMelb on this site - maybe there is no interest, so I'll be brief...DPetrie played one year too long and should have retired last year....the 4 delisted players ALL should all go.

If you think Petrie player on too long, what about "Boomer"-bloody-Harvey?
Don't know what "vitamins" he was taking to try to keep up with the young boys, but each successive season saw his aggro become more and more apparent...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:53 pm

Two games this w/e....I am having withdrawal symptoms already and thinking about the jobs that need doing hahahah

The number of punters talking up Western Bulldogs and Crows surprises me...mind you most probably haven't got a clue - still though it is interesting.....I thought Hawthorn and Sydney unbeatable.

I am not a fan of sledging but its part of the game, I thought Mummy' s sledge against BFranklin very mild and couldn't see why such offence was taken..... surely he's not that precious .....perhaps the arrogance of others in taking offence for him is more the point....yet down the other end of the field the young GWS player subjected to more nasty sledges and nothing said. There will come a time when you wont be able to say anything to BFranklin. I love conspiracy theories and find it curious that some people on social media are now questioning/ or putting different spins on BFranklins last year absence from the Swans which seems to have stemmed from the w/e sledging kerfuffle and entirely opposite to the affect anticiapted.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby boisayum » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:26 pm

I'm going Sydney and Hawthorn. I can't go the other two.
A lot of people do fall for the two teams that win to beat the two teams that lose.

I'm sticking fat.

I think the Mumford/Franklin incident is just another media beat up, it wasn't even an insulting sledge. It's time to take the microphones off the umpires or don't mike them up for tv at least. It's just pathetic
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:51 pm

boisayum wrote:I'm going Sydney and Hawthorn. I can't go the other two.
A lot of people do fall for the two teams that win to beat the two teams that lose.

Bulldogs went in at 7th! Adelaide at 5th.
Now while Adelaide HAS actually won a GF once from fifth, ....7th is clearly an impossibility.
I think a lot of people like to go for the so-called underdog.
I'm going Swans :iwish: :iwish: :iwish: and Hawthorn.....

boisayum wrote:I think the Mumford/Franklin incident is just another media beat up, it wasn't even an insulting sledge. It's time to take the microphones off the umpires or don't mike them up for tv at least. It's just pathetic

Oh FFS! Is this all-pervasive prissy-fuck culture of PC Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat over-sensitivity ever going to let up? :ras: :ras: :ras: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:45 pm

The closer to the game the more I think it's going to be a really close belter of a game tonight
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:57 pm

I'll be very surprised if the Bullies don't put up a good fight.
Hawthorn are nowhere near the team they used to be, but it's top four against seventh.
And remember, Hawthorn only failed by just the one kick to relegate Geelong to this round.
Could just as easily have gone the other way.
The Hawks will be VERY determined to NOT let this one escape.
We are in "sudden death" territory now!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby swannee » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:15 am

HA! So what the f--k would I know! Told you I had trouble picking finals. EPIC FAIL!!! #-o #-o #-o
That's what happens when you try to apply logic to an illogical game!

Anyway, the Hawks are GONE! FINISHED.....DEAD!
NO fourth Grand Final appearance, ...and no fourth flag in a row.
Bulldogs were sensational from half time on, and during the fourth it became apparent that Hawthorn was to be fairly comprehensively defeated.
I think their period of dominance is over now, despite all their protestations on the net this morning. They have an ageing list, and recruitment of Jason O'Meara isn't going to cover that. (He didn't play a single game in season 2016.)
Can't say I was disappointed at all with the result, ..even though I didn't pick it....BUGGER!
I think during the season it became apparent that Hawthorn was fading and no longer the great power it had once been.

Now just watch the Swans go down in a screaming heap....... :roll: :roll: :roll:
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Next

Return to Footy Chat