Trade Talks

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

Trade Talks

Postby Finnis4 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:36 pm

An interesting week - some of the forecast/rumoured trades seem to be all but a done deal plus a couple of smokeys.

Collingwood' s interest in DWells from Nmelb surprises me....I don' t rate him very highly, he hasn't played a full season for several years (seems to average about 20 games since 2011) those he has played were not that good neither and is getting long in the tooth for a three year top $$$ contract, however maybe the recruiters see something I dont!
BGibbs wants out from Carlton to Adelaide is a bit of a surprise, it could be a win win for both clubs....I think Crows have pick 13 so that could potentially work out well for Carlton. Gibbs and Betts a potent forward line at the Crows.
BDeledio from Richmond to Geelong.....win win...Richmond needs a full purge and with NBalme's influence it just may be what the Dr ordered.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Team (AFL): Adelaide

> Re: Trade Talks

Postby swannee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:26 am

I am amazed at the unlimited "buying power" Hawthorn seems to have at this time!
They are going on a real splurge right now!
Ty Vickery, Jason O'Meara, TOM Mitchell etc.
How are they fitting so many players that would command big money under their salary cap, ....considering that they already have some big name players on their list?
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

>Re: Trade Talks

Postby boisayum » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:32 pm

I'm not bitter about carton players wanting to leave, if they don't want to play at my club, so be it.

And Swannee I have the same feelings about Franklin and Tippett going to swans , how do they fit them in. I'm guessing that's why Mitchell is leaving, because they can't.

And feeling is the same. How does this happen ? Where does their money come from??
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

Postby swannee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:32 pm

Has anyone heard of Hawthorn ditching anyone who would be on a big salary?
Is anyone high-profile retiring?
Tom Mitchell was taken under father-son rule to the Swans, and I don't think he'd move on for peanuts.
O'Meara would also want big bucks, despite him not playing at all in 2016.
(Due to his protracted injury quite frankly I don't see his worth other than pure decorative value...)
Vickery would also demand a lucrative deal for himself, and there's talk of Hawthorn still actively "shopping"?
Did they delist Sam Mitchell? Well hardly one supposes.
Or have they been able to somehow right-off the unfortunately beleaguered Roughhead?
The Hawks do seem to have unlimited money to throw around at this stage, and that makes me wonder just where it's all coming from?
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:41 am

One leaving Hawthorn is Sam Mitchell....I would bet my Grans pearls on it!!!!
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby boisayum » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:54 am

My god we so have psychics in the room.

Swannee I was wondering if you made an error in your earlier post when you said "vickery, omeara and "Sam" mitchell'
Maybe you just were playing with us.

Loyalty has just gone out the window on both sides, it's just the power of the $$$ and I'm ok with it as long as your players plays to his best before he leaves not like some certain jerk named Lachie Henderson.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:34 pm

boisayum wrote:Swannee I was wondering if you made an error in your earlier post when you said "vickery, omeara and "Sam" mitchell'

No, just my Alzheimer's kicking in!
Thanks boisayum...of course I meant TOM Mitchell. I will correct the above immediately.
Sorry folks!
Seems SAM Mitchell is off to the West Coast, which should free up the cash back at Hawthorn!
Sounds a bit like the suggestion was made FOR him rather than of his own choice though.
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:36 pm

swannee wrote:
boisayum wrote:Swannee I was wondering if you made an error in your earlier post when you said "vickery, omeara and "Sam" mitchell'

No, just my Alzheimer's kicking in!
Thanks Finnis4...of course I meant TOM Mitchell. I will correct the above immediately.
Sorry folks!
Seems SAM Mitchell is off to the West Coast, which should free up the cash back at Hawthorn!
Sounds a bit like the suggestion was made FOR him rather than of his own choice though.

Yeah you are slipping, it was I that picked up on it.

Some funny trade talks going around today, Lewis was suggested to leave hawthorn, and everyone wants to leave, it's a circus.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:18 am

boisayum wrote:Yeah you are slipping, it was I that picked up on it.

Sorry boisayum, this is what happens when I'm denied my "footy-fix".

Hating all the horse-trading going on at present.
Everybody wants "out", who's offering the most money, who's got room under their salary cap, what can we get for him etc.
It will take me the first four rounds next season to catch up on who's where now!

I note that Deledio has bolted from taking part in the Tiger's 37th year of their four year plan.
Good pick-up for Geelong though, where he will at least have some chance of playing in a Grand Final at last.
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:13 am

I have read where the AFL is in favour of and promotes this "horse trading".

This seems to be the American way of Sport, I don't particularly like it, then again its been said that my attitudes come from having breakfast with Jesus.

Now for what is perhaps a stupid question....Why is it promoted and encouraged ?

I guess the obvious answer is $$$$$ - indeed it probably increases a Player's income earning potential but what are any other benefits ?

Player loyalty to a club and Father/son basically goes out the window.

PS..I reckon Tom Rockcliff could line up for the Crows next year .
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:17 pm

I have to feel a bit sorry for those players who have given their best to their club, and wish to continue playing for that team. only to find themselves offered as "bait" in some trade-off deal to secure another apparently highly rated import. I'd be majorly pissed off!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Just wait til mid season drafting and recruiting happens then it will become the full American experience.

So the fact that Tyrone Vickery is going to get paid $500,000 a year just makes a whole mockery of this game.

Apparently Lewis is peeved that he was asked to take a pay cut earning LESS than VICKERY, now ain't that a kick in the guts.
I can see this trading of future draft picks is going to get someone unstuck. I can see an error occurring.

I'm all for players going home and moving clubs, I just don't like seeing did players getting paid well overs.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:34 am

boisayum wrote: I just don't like seeing did players getting paid well overs.

Well if Grand Final performances are anything to go by, my own team has a couple who failed to live up to their inflated paychecks on the day it must be said.

It must be galling to be long term key player asked to take a paycut to bring in some supposed "hotshot" on bigger money, specially if the newcomer turns out to be fairly ordinary.
Wouldn't exactly promote team unity one might imagine, ...more like some deep-seated resentment.

I just can't see why Hawthorn are so desperate to get O'Meara. He didn't play one game in 2016, yet apparently seasoned Hawks are being asked to play for less just to fit O'Meara in.
Bugger the Hawks taking TOM Mitchell too.
Apart from him being a GREAT player, I always thought he might be "one of us"...... ;) ;)
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:03 pm

I am finding this Trade period fascinating.

How would you be (if the rumours are true) Jordon Lewis (current Hawthorn Vice Captain) sitting on the couch...JD in hand and getting "the phone call" and thinking .....

"WHACKO here's my dream" The CAPTAINCY "- "The flog is finally giving it up and concentrating on his brown nosing media jobs. I finally get to lead MY team - the Mighty Hawks, it's what I've always wanted, What I deserve!!"....

When the voice on the other end of the line starts to stutter and says:

"Gee Jordo you're a really nice guy, and we're really sorry about this, But would you mind being traded to another club? "...

Presumably your world would be shattered.

"Fuk you mongrels, I am out of here "!!!.....

Hence the rumours about his sounding out of the Melb FC. All VERY plausible. Personally I reckon he's gone..if not to Melb then some other club, the loyalty and trust has been broken. Once its gone, its gone !

Mitchell to West Coast as a couple of us predicted last week....now what does that do to a TEAM. A very thick knitted team who were reliant on each other....most as dirty as the next but with the butter wouldn't melt in your mouth personas!

Can the jedi Clarkson pull a rabbit out of the bag.

The AFL wants it to be a business...the merchandise is the Game - the components of the merchandise - the Players....the potential trouble is that the Players aren't inanimate objects...they have feelings...fans have feelings ...There are ramifications !!!
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:57 am

Well written Finnis4! Excellent!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Next

Return to Footy Chat