Here we go - let the 2017 games begin.

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

Here we go - let the 2017 games begin.

Postby Finnis4 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:47 am

Black humour before last nights game.
After an interview in the Essendon rooms with JWorsfold and back to the callers, Hudson says...some nerves in there - if any one can calm them down surely JWorsfold can !!!!
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Team (AFL): Adelaide

>Re: Here we go - let the 2017 games begin.

Postby swannee » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:16 am

Finnis4 wrote:Black humour before last nights game.
After an interview in the Essendon rooms with JWorsfold and back to the callers, Hudson says...some nerves in there - if any one can calm them down surely JWorsfold can !!!!

Hmmm, I dunno so much about that Finnis4!
Those of us with longer memories will recall that he didn't seem to have much control over all those super-druggies when supposedly in charge of West Coast at the time...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

Postby Finnis4 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:10 am

The hysteria around the AFL W is astounding.
Prime time TV coverage last night; personally I don't mind it, but find commentators reactions and reports of the massive interest quite incredulous.
With what I guess to be around a 50% gay/straight player split, I wonder how long it will be before there are accusations of bias toward our gay women friends.

The men's trial games, so far, have showed much promise and some talented youngsters waiting in the wings...nonetheless they are only trials and despite the positives may not be indicative of the teams capabilities.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:51 pm

The so-called AFLW is being SUPER-hyped!
Blown up out of all proportion as the AFL and the media try to make it a "go-er". (More of the AFL's P.C. social engineering agenda!)
After the opening game when it had novelty value, the crowds have subsequently dwindled.

Basking in the afterglow of the well-attended opener, the AFL were initially talking about having to move to bigger venues to cope, but now it's plain to see that the crowds are NOT being sustained.
It managed just a measly 4000 the other night.

Now if any of the men's games managed such a pathetic crowd like that, it would be reported as being VERY bad indeed!

It's like women's tennis, ....nothing like the interest and audience appeal of the men's.
Sorry folks, I know it's not PC to say, but that's the way it is. Just compare the crowds.

If AFLW can't get bums-on-seats to pay its own way, it's going to end up like most of those soccer matches that you can clearly see are being played in front of empty stands.
It will of course have to be propped up financially by the AFL...who whine now about having to hand out money to some of the perennial struggling men's teams.

And it's such a low-scoring affair!
Final scores are rarely over 35 or about!
Crowds want excitement, and the AFLW just doesn't deliver or even compare with the men's game in that department.
Sure a few hard-core dykes might get their jollies watching it, but for me it's a VERY pale imitation of the real stuff.

Still, the women's version of Brownlow Night (and rest assured folks, there will most certainly be one! :roll: ) could prove interesting.
Their HABs (that's husbands and boyfriends) can make it all about them by swanning about on the red carpet in expensive designer name gowns, all spray-tanned up with their tits hanging out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 am

David Koch - President of the Port Adelaide Football Club in association with the AFL have arranged the first game of AFL played outside Australia to be played in China for June this year against the Gold Coast Football club - a home game for GC...Port have got their teal, black and white uniform and GC will be wearing their home guernsey which is red and yellow. The Chinese National colours are red and yellow. Its obvious who the Chinese ppl will be supporting......someone stuffed up there !!!!! Koch isn't as smart as he thought he was.

Richmond season launch yesterday....same old same old....
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:27 am

Finnis4 wrote: Koch isn't as smart as he thought he was.

Or as funny, or as interesting, ...or as relevant, .....or even as great as a breakfast accompaniment! :ras: :ras: :ras:

Finnis4 wrote:Richmond season launch yesterday....same old same old....

So.....9th again this year then ? :roll: :roll: :roll:
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:03 am

I've been watching the trial games...and its promoted as JLT Community Series...well I've often wondered what the initials meant...so much for good use of promotional $$$$ (then again I did look it up) ...Jardine Lloyd Thompson (JLT) inc in England and Wales is one of the world's leading providers of insurance, reinsurance and employee benefits related advice, brokerage and associated services.AND is the major sponsor of the AFL Trials 2017. So there you go !!!

Also in the games I've noticed paraphernalia behind some players ears....perhaps it could be for communication with the coaches I surmised, but no; apparently its trialling a concussion test..so that's good and my curiousity satisfied.

I cant let the post go without sniggering at the Cats Captain being pinged for speeding, and losing his license for a month, however it happens to the best of us - his car was probably worth more than mine though :) !!!!
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:09 am

Finnis4 wrote:I cant let the post go without sniggering at the Cats Captain being pinged for speeding, and losing his license for a month, however it happens to the best of us - his car was probably worth more than mine though :) !!!!

Well he's a "multimillionaire" you know, ....just ask him, ...he'll tell you! I've actually heard him say this!

He's just never been the same since Dangerfield left. He knows only too well that Dangerfield's skill made him look good!
Now he's got to go it alone and rely on his own abilities......which of course are no where near those of Dangerfield. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Looking forward to 2017...Carlton will be shit.

Women's football started bright and has pretty much gone downhill from there.

I have gone off the grid again this holiday season.....

Can't wait for the men's game to begin. Though watching the women's game I got bored quick, does that mean I watch the footy for only one reason??? I'm confused.
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

Postby Finnis4 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Dear Confused...
Here, lay down on the couch and take off your trousers... :twisted: ohhh sorry that' s for a different ailment :twisted: :twisted:

Glad you're back, refreshed and full of beans - well some would say full of something, but not me hahaha !!!

Unfortunately I think you may be correct in saying that Carlton - whilst understandably building- aren't going to be anywhere near as strong this year as a few of us thought. I fear the coaches beautiful smile is/will be seen less and less.

I've said before that I don't mind the AFL W, but tone it down a tad and reduce expectations, when the punters have to pay patronage will drop off even more ...and crikey the cost to the AFL must be enormous.....this will probably mean a reduction in funding allocation to the VFL WAFL, SAFL etc grass roots footy is suffering at the moment and needs some financial help to do more than survive.The women's footy and the juniors footy all need $$$ to get people into the game and off the sofa. The AFL HQ would be better off just concentrating on footy rather than the plethora of other extraneous stuff they involve themselves in.

I'm looking forward to the battle of the Bridge tonight...it will be interesting to see how GWS goes against Mr Swannees side especially after the Swans were beaten the week before last by an under manned NMelb side (yes I know its only trials).

Now about those trousers :devil: hahaha
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:16 am

boisayum wrote: Though watching the women's game I got bored quick, does that mean I watch the footy for only one reason??? I'm confused.

Well the fact that you are a poof (along with the rest of us!) just MIGHT have something to do with it....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I simply cannot watch it at all. It spoils my love of the game I grew up with.
I have high expectations from anything I devote precious time to watching for entertainment, and the AFLW just doesn't deliver that for me.

Finnis4 wrote:I've said before that I don't mind the AFL W, but tone it down a tad and reduce expectations, when the punters have to pay patronage will drop off even more ...and crikey the cost to the AFL must be enormous.....this will probably mean a reduction in funding allocation to the VFL WAFL, SAFL etc grass roots footy is suffering at the moment and needs some financial help to do more than survive.The women's footy and the juniors footy all need $$$ to get people into the game and off the sofa. The AFL HQ would be better off just concentrating on footy rather than the plethora of other extraneous stuff they involve themselves in.

My thoughts exactly Finnis4!
Of all the cock-a-mamie PC social agendas that the AFL has gotten itself involved in, the women's idea will prove to be the most costly weight around its neck ever!
Just because the first games attracted a big crowd, all the luvvies started predicting the fixtures would have to be shifted to the big stadiums, but now the crowds have dwindled, and as mentioned, when the admission charges are introduced, watch those stands empty....RAPIDO!
Going to the AFL MENS is dear enough in itself!

But of course it's "WOMEN" ain't it, the utimate "sacred cow", and now the AFL has no way of ditching this ill-conceived (and enormously expensive!) experiment without screams of misogyny.
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:35 am

The new ruck rule needs tweaking.....case on the w/e during the Crows Geelong game where a player with his back to the boundary was hit by the ball in a shallow boundary throw in and penalised as a result, even though he made no attempt to play the ball.
The decision should have been a second throw in or a ball up - decided by the field umpire!!! just a change in the wording should do.

Get out the chocolates !! Richmond had a win hahahha..next their suppporters will be saying they're a flag favourite :twisted:
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby boisayum » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:11 pm

And carltons game has confirmed all my fears. Rock bottom.

Yes the ruck rule definitely needs fixing. How obvious can it be that this was such a big mistake.

I hope shit gets sorted before season opens.
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

Postby Finnis4 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:33 am

The AFL trials haven't held my interest so I've been watching a bit of the NRL and there has been a lot to like...some close games with doggedly hard fought effort - excellent. The golden point is about as exciting as footy can get, perhaps the AFL should rethink its current rules. The FoxLeague channel seems to have been modelled on the AFL channel with a greater female presence, particularly in commentary and hosting jobs- there is nothing wrong with that so long as its based on merit and best of all no Rabbit Warren or Gould.

As for the game itself, I am still bamboozled by the need for a scrum when the half puts the ball into the second row and out via the lock, which makes it a pointless, guaranteed result exercise !!! Also, the pompom girls do little to enhance the respect of women in sport and no I wouldn't support pompom boys neither. Sponsorship and advertising are more and more pervasive in both the AFL and NRL with every year with the saturation of gambling advertising, in its various forms, in both codes somewhat concerning.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 am

Finnis4 wrote:The FoxLeague channel seems to have been modelled on the AFL channel with a greater female presence, particularly in commentary and hosting jobs- there is nothing wrong with that so long as its based on merit and best of all no Rabbit Warren or Gould.

In truth I'm a bit over the current push for women to be in absolutely everything. It stinks of "quota-ism". Be it politics, sport's commentary or anything else, I am a very firm believer that all jobs should go to the best qualified, ....regardless of gender. When they start clamouring for equal representation, you get women picked purely on the basis of their gender alone to make up the required numbers, and in all likelihood depriving a more qualified bloke of the job.
Fighting sexism by being sexist seems odd to me.

Finnis4 wrote:As for the game itself, I am still bamboozled by the need for a scrum when the half puts the ball into the second row and out via the lock, which makes it a pointless, guaranteed result exercise !!!

THAT has long baffled me too Finnis4! The possession is in absolutely NO danger of ever changing, so it's bloody pointless, specially after all the time it takes for a scrum to form!
And seeing that a lot of neck and spinal injuries occur when scrums collapse, why have the play at all?

Finnis4 wrote:Also, the pompom girls do little to enhance the respect of women in sport and no I wouldn't support pompom boys neither. Sponsorship and advertising are more and more pervasive in both the AFL and NRL with every year with the saturation of gambling advertising, in its various forms, in both codes somewhat concerning.

Again it seems odd to bang on about respect for women by the players, when over on the sidelines you have a whole squad of 'em shaking their tits and arses about in micro-mini-skirts!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Next

Return to Footy Chat