They're on to him...at last!

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

They're on to him...at last!

Postby swannee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:42 pm

The AFL has changed the "high contact" rules and it's likely to have a major effect on those serial stagers such as Geelong's Joel Selwood.

His modus operandi when legally tackled is to immediately push his opponents arms upward to his own neck, whilst at the same time falling to the ground making a face as if a giant anaconda had suddenly got him in a death-grip around the throat.
So many times an umpire used to fall for this dramatic display and award Selwood's theatrics with an undeserved free.
Perhaps not any more!
In the past Selwood has won more free kicks for high contact than any other player in the game, all largely by use of the above routine.
Under the new tightened interpretation, if a tackle is reasonable and the ball carrier is responsible for the high contact via a "shrug, drop, arm lift or duck, play on should be called".
Now that would seem to sound the death knell for Selwood's particular long used technique for staging for free kicks.
And about bloody time too I say!

Surely this is the last year for the AFL to award him that Brownlow he himself thinks he so richly deserves?b :ras: :ras: :ras:

Here's a pic of Selwood's act. Note the firm grip he has on his opponent's arm in able to lift it up, AND the facial grimace, ...an integral part for the umpire's benefit.
Joelselwoodtackle.jpg
Joelselwoodtackle.jpg (12.39 KiB) Viewed 46 times
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

>Re: They're on to him...at last!

Postby boisayum » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Thank f#%k.

These pictures show just how he manipulated the rule by lowering his body and legs to draw a free.

Crap.

We will see how it is umpired?!
Attachments
IMG_9272.JPG
IMG_9271.JPG
IMG_9269.JPG
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

Postby Finnis4 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am

Excellent posts gentlemen !!
Thank-you
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Team (AFL): Adelaide

Postby swannee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 am

boisayum wrote:These pictures show just how he manipulated the rule by lowering his body and legs to draw a free.

Great examples. Note in each case Selwood's raised shoulder to slide the arms of the tackler up from the legal position towards his neck, making it "high".....and of course the by now familiar choking expression!
boisayum wrote:We will see how it is umpired?!

Well yes, ...that WILL be the proof of the pudding!
Selwood has long been a bit of an "umpire's darling" when it comes to their decisions. The first game will be something of a revelation.

selwoodBOAGRIP.jpg
selwoodBOAGRIP.jpg (18.69 KiB) Viewed 39 times
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

Return to Footy Chat