Draft preparation

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

Draft preparation

Postby TrippPA » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:14 pm

My home city (Philadelphia) is infested with the National Football League draft. They will take three days to do about 2 hours of work. There are photo ops, signature ops and video game ops for people to get up close and personal to the newest group of over-paid, over-weight and over-sexed almost-convicts that will entertain US gridiron football fans for the next several years every autumn Sunday afternoon.

I was surprised to read a sidebar article that the Blues were sending someone to watch and study how the NFL draft practices might illumine the activities of the AFL draft. I will quickly admit that the NFL has this aspect of running an athletic enterprise down to a science. They have people who make 6 figures who do nothing all year except research the potential participants in the draft. It is considered Important by all the clubs in the league. I don't even want to guess at the amount of duplication of effort amonst them all.

I thought you might be interested.

Tripp <-- in Philadelphia (surrounded by NFL "don't you know who I am" types .. can't wait till they go home)
TrippPA
Club Member
Club Member

Team (AFL): Collingwood
Team (NRL): Sea Eagles

>Re: Draft preparation

Postby swannee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:59 am

TrippPA wrote:get up close and personal to the newest group of over-paid, over-weight and over-sexed almost-convicts...

TrippPA, that description puts me in mind of a few players here in our AFL!
I will confess that the appeal and hoo-haa carry-on over NFL completely escapes me. The game itself is a incredibly over-prolonged affair, and the get-up they wear bordering on the ridiculous.
AFL players take just as many hard-knocks, (if not more) and do it nearly naked. The NFL has all that neanderthal shoulder-padding, and CRASH HELMETS would you believe! And they hardly ever collide! Seriously?

TrippPA wrote:Tripp <-- in Philadelphia (surrounded by NFL "don't you know who I am" types .. can't wait till they go home)

Back in University days when we all worked as part-time barmen, I was flat out serving people IN THEIR TURN, when a VERY minor D-grade "celeb" tried to push in using that very phrase on me.
I said, "M'am, I'm a barman, not a psychiatrist, I can't help with your amnesia."
Got a little round of polite applause from my more patient customers!

Thanks for the report on the state of play in Philly! Hope it all settles down soon!
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

Return to Footy Chat