That time of year again - IDAHO

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

That time of year again - IDAHO

Postby boisayum » Tue May 16, 2017 9:58 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/afl-af ... 64671723aa

That time of year again...apart from being very scripted...kudos to all.
Let's all hope that this video needn't be made next year....unless fuckface Abbott gets back in. Scuse the language but it is valid.
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

>Re: That time of year again - IDAHO

Postby Finnis4 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:45 am

I have previously said that the AFL should concentrate on Footy and by and large I stand by that. HOWEVER...it is pleasing that the players support this issue, the more positive support the better. Well done.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Team (AFL): Adelaide

Postby swannee » Thu May 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Finnis4 wrote:I have previously said that the AFL should concentrate on Footy and by and large I stand by that. HOWEVER...it is pleasing that the players support this issue, the more positive support the better. Well done.

If it is to happen then let's hope that this time they can actually bring themselves to say the "GAY" word.....unlike the pointless fizzer of "Diversity Round" when it was very conspicuous by its complete absence!
However after the continuing conga line of a Round for just about anything and any cause you can imagine, I'm VERY much a supporter of what Finnis4 has said up front!
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

Postby boisayum » Thu May 18, 2017 6:06 pm

That's what one of the most public and thriving businesses in Victoria and Australia should do. Sit on It's hands.
I applaud st kilda having a rainbow flag in its cheer squad
I applaud Sydney supporters having the rainbow colours on the end of their Sydney scarves
I applaud a gay supporter group called the purple bombers.
They all send a message. A positive inclusive message
Wanna shut their message up to?
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 am

boisayum wrote:Wanna shut their message up to?

The AFL is in real danger of having SO many messages going on at once.
Sorry boisayum, I do realise that your heart is in the right place, but I also think that AFL is a sport, and should remain just that.
It does not have to be kidnapped as a vehicle for every damned "cause du jour", as is being done right now. (Gay being just one of the many!)
People of all views should be able to attend such entertainment WITHOUT being confronted with a "lesson".
Yes there can be social messages in the public fora, but why is it such a crime to just allow a sport to be just that?
Entertainment, and entertainment untainted or tinged with not so subtle messages telling us what, and how we should be thinking?

Of course I can't speak here for others but I do not watch AFL or attend games to have my awareness raised of completely unrelated issues.
I go to watch the game itself, I've paid my money, got my arse on the seat, so bloody well get on with it.
Spare me the politics, even if it is about my own condition.

I'm very sure it actually annoys others too rather than bringing anyone round to acceptance of whatever is being pushed. In other words it has a negative effect.
"Why do we have to have poofter issues in our footy?" I hear, ...and in truth it's hard for me not to agree with that very line of thinking, despite being of the persuasion myself. Why indeed?
Time and a place?
And in my humble opinion, AFL games are neither.
We would complain if the game started to carry messages promoting either political party, and these totally irrelevant causes are no different.
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby swannee » Sat May 20, 2017 1:47 pm

And as an after thought, the AFL has "Indigenous Round"...even "Multicultural Round" to the joy of all those PC hand-wringers!
Dammit I'm a "race" too, ....as are so many, (probably a majority!) of the players, and yet can you imagine the massive outcry from those same ever-vigilant thought-police if we were to have "Anglo-Saxon Round"?
Why would it be any different to celebrate another perfectly legitimate race?
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Sun May 21, 2017 8:53 pm

3 things that really irk me , xenophobes, homophobes and bullies. They all pretty much go hand in hand. So if the AFL want to spread a positive message go ahead, and in their attempt they stop 1 person from being ostracised for being themselves then kudos to them. No one asks you to participate, their is no obligation for you, these things are not designed to change people's personal opinions, they are done to encourage inclusivity.
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Postby swannee » Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 am

boisayum wrote:No one asks you to participate, their is no obligation for you, these things are not designed to change people's personal opinions, they are done to encourage inclusivity.

We are being asked to participate by proxy. We attend a football game as paying patrons, and enter expecting to see just that, and only that, but are then subjected to another message whether we like it or not. There is no "opt out" available.You are a captive audience. And if they are not designed to change opinions then pray tell what is the purpose?

AFL audiences are already "inclusive'...in the TRUE meaning of the word in that they include ALL types and those of all thoughts already.
And yes, that INCLUDES those who may hold views that we personally may disagree with. That's what true inclusivity is, ....not a homogeneous crowd of everybody co-erced into thinking the same as PC would demand!

And then there's also the big question of who it is that actually decides just what each of these rounds will be designated as being for. I'd like that piece of information revealed, and in much more detail than just the generalised "AFL".
Observe too that it's only CERTAIN issues.......not even democratically right across the board. Hold up any sign in the crowd that's NOT promoting one of their "accepted" and they scream for you to be booted out!

Look, to be perfectly honest some of these issues I probably even support, .....certainly the gay one naturally but others too.
It's just that I really do not think a sport put on as entertainment for the general public should then be hijacked by anyone and then used to push ANY agenda, ....and again I emphasise the word "ANY".

In fact this is the exact same issue and reason why I always argue for separation of church and state politics.

I have actually found out the name of the person who has a lot to do with deciding what and whom the AFL will support with those designated rounds.
Meet Tanya Hosch.
Her title is "Social Policy Manager"....read "Barrow Pusher" and to me at least, no surprise that it's a women doing this. :roll:
Tanya Hosch.jpg
Tanya Hosch.jpg (18.17 KiB) Viewed 63 times
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Return to Footy Chat