Pity

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

Pity

Postby Finnis4 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:53 am

Ohh dear it happened again!!
I pity Richmond and feel a smidgen of compassion for their supporters - I cant be that hard arsed!!!
Two successive weeks and two minutes.
Reason kicks in and 4 goals and 12 behinds in the second half says it all.. 5 behinds in the last quarter...easily said, but just one of those to a goal and the chocolates were theirs in victory. As much as I've said it might be time for DHardwick to move on, he cant kick the goals for them!!!
Conversely two consecutive weeks and two minutes for GWS and they are still top 4 contenders, but at the moment only just...heaps of injuries aren't helping.
Crows got off to a slow start against Brisbane but got there in the end...a better side may have further dampened their feathers.
I have to say I thought Collingwood were gone being something like 42 points down however a very creditable effort to work hard and come back...JElliot a star in more ways than one. :twisted: Hawks however have some soul searching to do. I am not the first to wonder if AClarkson might be better off farewelling Hawthorn at the end of the year and starting afresh, there is no doubting his coaching ability, sometimes it's just a matter of "time to move on" however difficult it may seem at the time. Happens in most occupations, to most people sometime in their working life, very few jobs last forever!
When the dynamic duo are soaring Geelong are almost unstoppable - I wonder which one is Robin? :twisted:
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Team (AFL): Adelaide

>Re: Pity

Postby boisayum » Sun May 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Poor Glen.
Not just close losses but losses that just shouldn't have happened. was the funniest thing with the whole review. 5 years ago it would have been a different result. I have noticed goal umpires are calling for replays more and more. They must be feeling the pressure of getting it wrong. It's getting annoying that half of them clearly don't need reviewing.

I think the swans are going to get on a big roll now. Did well on the weekend without much influence from Buddy.
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

Postby swannee » Mon May 22, 2017 8:52 am

The Tigers were unlucky that what they thought was the sealing goal was actually a point, ...although it was undoubtedly the correct decision.

But it was funny how Richmond's SECOND last minute demise came from two of its supposedly "biggest" stars.
First Dustin Martin completely f-cks up the opportunity for an easy goal that would have sealed it by kicking into the man on the mark, then in a mad scramble right in front of the Richmond goals, Jack Rievoldt buggers up another last minute chance by trying the highly improbable of kicking through the dense pack.
Had either of those blokes been able to handle the pressure and perform to their reputation, victory would have been theirs!
Full marks to the Giants for holding their nerve!

In the end I think it was panic, probably induced by the bitter memories of the previous week's debacle, cost Richmond dearly.....again!
Wonder if it will happen a third time? :devil:
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

Postby Finnis4 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 am

Crikey first game of the round and I'm out with the pity card already. Poor Port!!
A great game .....
Hmmm dynamic duo - Batman's balls are very close to the ground. Whilst the free's were undoubtedly there (according to the rules) , JSelwood milks them by collapsing tackles leaving opponents arms head high resulting in a free!!! ....No wonder he has one of the highest number of frees awarded to any player in the past 10 years. I believe topping the list in 6 of those years.
Nonetheless Cats got the Chocolates....well done!!!
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Sat May 27, 2017 8:52 am

Finnis4 wrote:JSelwood milks them by collapsing tackles leaving opponents arms head high resulting in a free!!! ....No wonder he has one of the highest number of frees awarded to any player in the past 10 years. I believe topping the list in 6 of those years.

Finnis4, we are just more in the long, long, LONG line of the many commentators and ex-players who have also noticed Selwood's staged performances and therefore his cheating......
It would be a complete travesty if he was ever to be given any award that mentions "fairness", ....but of course you'd have to think he'd be a high chance of getting an Oscar!
The only thing that remains astounding is that the umpires still seem to fall for his cheap theatrics so readily. :roll: :roll: :roll:
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Finnis4 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:36 am

In a carpark interview screened before last nights game a smiling batman proudly proclaimed that he "plays to the whistle" and indeed he does. In another post his play was described as "dropping his shoulder"..that's possibly a more accurate description than mine was.

Second game of the round and my pity card comes out yet again!! No matter how loudly I barracked for Sydney they couldn't get it done. LFranklin did well - he doesn't do a lot but when he gets the ball it counts. LHodge's playing game seems more obviously away from silky skills to bad boy these days. Some talented youngsters in both teams.

:ras: With so much effort (and $$$$$) being put into Indigenous Round by an ever increasing cast of people I think some positives are lost by not explaining why certain things happen or the cultural meaning/significance of things....e.g. the gift exchange by LFranklin and SBurgoyne, why the different flags for the goal umpires, more on the significance of 67, and the Aboriginal Flag itself...If the AFL is going to do it they might as well do it properly, or maybe the fault lies with the broadcaster.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swannee » Sat May 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Finnis4 wrote:In a carpark interview screened before last nights game a smiling batman proudly proclaimed that he "plays to the whistle" and indeed he does.

Selwood is a serial cheat and a stager, and should be called as such! He plays to the UMPIRES!
I think he's probably do well in soccer, where that sort of thing seem endemic.
Finnis4 wrote: No matter how loudly I barracked for Sydney they couldn't get it done.

Oh well I know the feeling Finnis4!
Smart idea to let your opposition kick away to a big lead in the first quarter, ...as the Swans seem to do so often. :roll:
Then to do all the hard work of catching up, actually hitting the lead for a few brief moments, only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!
OH BUGGER ...if I may say so! :bad-words:
It is most disheartening to see one's own team fall to being only of nuisance value for the rest of the season.

And as for Luke Hodge, well he's just too bloody OLD!
And like so many oldsters who find they can no longer match the young blokes in skills, they turn to playing dirty as you mention!
He should have retired LONG ago, but perhaps he's one of those sad cases who have no other avenues to make a living?
Let me say that if his current effort at making a TV commercial is anything to go by, he's stuffed!
Finnis4 wrote:With so much effort (and $$$$$) being put into Indigenous Round by an ever increasing cast of people I think some positives are lost .

Frankly I think that ANY significnce of ANY of those designated rounds is now minimal at best.
They all seem to owe far more to PC expectations and the paid directors of staging big public events rather than anything of real cultural significance.
Although this time I was relieved NOT to hear those fanciful fantasies from the revisionist "historians" that the aborigines actually invented AFL by kicking around a possum-skin ball! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And also unfortunately for those same people, very recent archaeological discoveries over in W.A. seem to suggest that the aborigines were NOT the first inhabitants of this continent after all.
Seems a physically smaller, and genetically unrelated race were already here over 50,000 years ago, but seem to have then been quite suddenly eliminated.......
Interesting reading indeed.
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Return to Footy Chat