A New Problem Now at the Footy!

This is the area for serious footy chat and the not so serious. Discuss the performance over the week share your predictions for the upcoming games. Offensive / slanderous message will be deleted once detected.

A New Problem Now at the Footy!

Postby swannee » Wed May 24, 2017 12:19 pm

In view of recent most worrying religiously inspired events overseas , there is understandable concern for the crowds at football games here, AFL most definitely included.
How can security be assured for so many in such huge venues?
You simply cannot skin-search every single person, or even effectively examine their bags, and it's plain that the authorities at soccer matches here seem unable to prevent fans smuggling in flares, ...which are about the size of a single stick of gelignite.
The proposed security searches will undoubtedly cause great delays for the crowd to be seated, but are now necessary due to the vulnerability of such gatherings.
Do not make the mistake of thinking that we do not have radicalised zealots here quite capable, ..and no doubt eager to follow the lead of those in other countries.

Do you feel "safe" when you're at the footy? Of course we all SHOULD, ....but times have changed in the last few years....and NOT for the better!
Any thoughts on how we might lessen the risk? Given the task and the size of the problem, complete prevention is probably impossible?
Sadly, ..tragically, ......in the current climate, perhaps it's only a matter of time?
I tried being "normal" once......worst two minutes of my life!!!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Team (AFL): Sydney

>Re: A New Problem Now at the Footy!

Postby Finnis4 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:01 pm

My vehement sentiment is that this never happens in Australia....and collectively we should do all we can to ensure that it doesn't.

I desperately hope that any suggestion that it is a matter of time is utterly wrong.

At ANZ Stadium in Sydney tonight for the Sydney FC and Liverpool FC game the following measure is in place " Security checks will be carried out on all bags entering the Stadium. To help avoid delays, it’s best to leave your bag at home if you can. If you do bring a bag, it must be smaller than 30cm by 40cm." That will make it somewhat more difficult for visitors to the city of the game with bags but if it lessens risk to harm then its a small price to pay.

I have written two paragraphs and deleted both because they appear political...and could be misinterpreted or taken in isolation and misused....my one single comment however is for inclusion, with integration to lead to inclusion and anything not promoting that to be deemed unacceptable ...to lighten things up a bit liken it to the "out of bounds rule"....you have got to do all you can to keep the ball in play...well it' s the same as being Australian and living in Australia....you have to do all you can to promote Australian values of decency and good behaviour....no separatism and no discrimination on any basis - race, colour, creed, sexuality or age.

An aside but within the terrorism topic - the Coroners Report into the Sydney Lindt Cafe murders was released today; I continue to find it difficult to understand why 2 innocent people had to die before police did anything, if terrorists put people' s lives at risk, and that fact is conclusive - no shadow of doubt, then every effort must be taken to minimise, indeed eliminate that risk.
Finnis4
Rookie
Rookie

Team (AFL): Adelaide

Postby swannee » Wed May 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Finnis4 wrote:My vehement sentiment is that this never happens in Australia....and collectively we should do all we can to ensure that it doesn't.
Of course, ...but what? Doing "all we can" may not eventually prevent an incident. The huge packed stadiums must provide a tempting target.
Finnis4 wrote:I have written two paragraphs and deleted both because they appear political...and could be misinterpreted or taken in isolation and misused....

No one should ever be prevented from stating an opinion. Freedom of speech is not just about expressing those pre-digested and deemed "acceptable" PC thoughts.
From time to time I read and analyse people's anti-gay expression, and whilst of course I don't agree, I never feel that they should be prevented from saying such.
It's important to remember that prohibition does NOT change anyone's mindset in the least, just bottles it up and makes it go underground where it is FAR more dangerous.
It is virtually prohibited to express racist thoughts these days, but surely no one is naive enough to think that silence means there are now no racists?
Finnis4 wrote: no separatism and no discrimination on any basis - race, colour, creed, sexuality or age.

Yes Finnis4, ...that's my wish too, but unfortunately wishing doesn't make it so outside of in some Utopian Dream.
There are, ...and always will be, those who have no wish to abide by or ensconce what you term as "Australian Values".
This is demonstrated in our courts and in the suburbs almost every day.
I think we all have to come to terms with the fact that the Australia as we knew it and grew up in is now a thing of the past....more's the pity, but that's a sad fact in many respects.
We can never go back, ....even by legislation...certainly not by wishing....!
Finnis4 wrote:An aside but within the terrorism topic - the Coroners Report into the Sydney Lindt Cafe murders was released today; I continue to find it difficult to understand why 2 innocent people had to die before police did anything, if terrorists put people' s lives at risk, and that fact is conclusive - no shadow of doubt, then every effort must be taken to minimise, indeed eliminate that risk.

It's plain to see that the police on the street were completely hampered by the incompetence and sheer stupidity of those supposedly "in charge".
The rule was that they could not enter the cafe until someone had been killed? So there had to be a victim before anything could be done?
Poor Tori Johnson, ....he was doomed from the word go!

Even on the most basic level, it is just mind-boggling to learn that the siege was allowed to continue for so long that the remote phones held by the police outside the café had all run out of battery charge and no one, not a single person in the upper command thought to have them replaced?
Thus the final orders could not even be heard!
The whole sorry thing is a long litany of incompetent botching at the highest level, which cost an innocent gay man his life.
(There was an excellent minute-by-minute timeline published in The Telegraph om Monday 22nd.....perhaps it's still online.
Warning: It's hard to read without getting very angry. Specially in view of the result.)
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Postby boisayum » Wed May 24, 2017 6:21 pm

The thing is he never entered the stadium , he was just out on the concourse, it's like us all walking around after a football match in public and bang you could be dead.

You and I cannot do anything but live your life as usual.

I called the police just the other day as I was walking the streets at 8am in the morning when one youth doing burnouts near children. The final words were we have one can and we will see if we can come and check it out. This is a clear indication that police and the forces are way out of their depth. Any crazys could do anything at anytime.

It's so heart breaking that an 8year old girl watching her idol could have her life taken away so easily and needlessly. Yet it is also upsetting that Syrian children aged 2 and 3 are also killed in battle by sometimes US FORCES, and the world stays silent.

I won't be changing my life, I'm heading o/s in a few weeks, life does go on.
IT SEEMS AS THOUGH TRUSTING PEOPLE IS A CRIME IN THIS GAME!
boisayum
Board Member
Board Member

Team (AFL): Carlton
Team (NRL): Storm

Postby swannee » Thu May 25, 2017 12:50 pm

boisayum wrote:The thing is he never entered the stadium , he was just out on the concourse, it's like us all walking around after a football match in public and bang you could be dead.

A most perceptive point boisayum!
It doesn't have to be IN the stadium, all a bombing needs for maximum effect is a gathering of people.
What about the huge queues that will now be waiting to have their bags checked?
How easy to just walk up with a backpack jammed full of explosives and shrapnel, mingle with the crowd as though you too are waiting to be searched and.........!!!!!
It will now be somewhat safer inside than it is outside waiting to get in.
boisayum wrote:You and I cannot do anything but live your life as usual.

Of course but I do tire of the repetition of just more "thoughts and prayers" being offered, more candles burned, another of those cliché "Pray for...." slogans and yet another heap of dying flowers.
And then we all just stand by passively for it to happen again...which as time has proven, it invariably does!
boisayum wrote:This is a clear indication that police and the forces are way out of their depth. Any crazys could do anything at anytime.

It's like the current development of driving a car/truck at full speed through a street crowd.....already seen here in Melbourne.
How can something like that ever be prevented?
What is all the extra security, and the erection of barricades now proved necessary when they never were before costing Australia?
Country Anzac Day marches now having to be cancelled because the public insurers will not cover the extra protections now needed. (Again, we have had those marches here since 1927 and never before had to do anything to protect them from attacks.)
boisayum wrote:It's so heart breaking that an 8year old girl watching her idol could have her life taken away so easily and needlessly. Yet it is also upsetting that Syrian children aged 2 and 3 are also killed in battle by sometimes US FORCES, and the world stays silent.

Yes boisayum, that irony was not lost on me either.
And almost everyday many more people are killed in suicide bombings than were in Manchester, but they are in countries where it hardly seems to make our news.
I also am somewhat bothered by the way the victims of the Manchester bombing are being repeatedly classified as "innocent", as if all other victims of these attacks were somehow not?
boisayum wrote:I won't be changing my life, I'm heading o/s in a few weeks, life does go on.
Yes, I too think that's the course to go, but it does make you think about what might happen.
It's well known here that I hold ALL religion of any form in utter disregard, and of the many ways to die, I certainly do not want to go as the result of some religious fanatics actions!
swannee
Life Member
Life Member

Return to Footy Chat